Sunday, July 26, 2026

PG's Annual Expenses

I once worked with an intelligent American who was a BIllionaire Investment Banker in California at one of the World's largest VC Funds. I advised him and his olleagues on investing in Children's Internet opportunities. He consistently said to me over a few beers; "It's not what you earn, it's what you spend..." Keeping my expenses in check I can live off of a lot less than I used to earn per year; 1. Housing, Rent, Mortgage - own your own house. It's the best investment you will make. I own my own house on 24 HIllcrest Road Corner Brook Nl, Canada a2h 1n6. I also own (lease as you cannot technially / legally "own" an island in Canada on Sabdy Lake Newfoundland that I nicknamed www.newfoundisland.com. I also like the name Howley Island. So owning my own house saves me up to $2k / month or at least $12k year in rent/mortgage; 2. Food/Eating - I eat frugally and rarely dine out so compared to my sister who has 3 adult male children who live at home plus a work-from home Husband, I save about $1k month or $12k year; 3. Entertainment - reading, blogging, online-dating hot international chicks, fitness, internet and nature-walks are my primary forms of distraction so I have minimal social or enetertaining costs and having travelled all over the world living in high-end Hotels for companies like NOKIA, Microsoft, SULAKE, SONERA Grooup and others, I am not overly-motivated to travel outside of Newfoundland atm. People who travel spend at least $5k year on travel; 4. Drugs/Alcohol - I was a former Federal Drug Prosecutor in my 20's and have NEVER used drugs either legal or illegaly so that is not a cost to me and as a tee-totaler (once in a while a few beers maybe...) I am not spending $20-$30/day on alcohol which many of my social and professional contacts do which averages $650-$750/month or $6k-10k year; 5. Family - my kids are adults now and I am a single Bacelor so no "Family expenses" atm. My sister by comarison has 4 adult-aged men living at home with only 1 working a summer job as a construction-site flag man so "Family-Costs" are zero compared to my sister's whhch are exhorbitant (ie; very high) averaging $1k per month or $12k year; 6. Vehicle - I don't own a vehicle or drive at the moment so save on vehicle costs like gas, servicing and purchase (say $500/month) so at least $5k year; 7. Employment; I don't need to dressup or travel to and from work so say I save $2k year here; Bottom Line: Living frugally, soberly, singally as a bachelor while working from home saves me $50-55k year. PG

No comments: