Monday, January 14, 2008

Is This Blog Useful?

The average blog has one reader, or so I’m told (I’d heard earlier it was about 7). So that means I have about 30 times the normal daily blog traffic! WOW! Anyway, professional journalists seem threatened by the blogosphere, perhaps for good reason. Given that Technorati tracks 112.5 million blogs right now, it’s a mathematical certainty that most are either crap, or niche. I have two blogs. This one and a silly gaming one I am working on. But here’s the great thing about blogging: Who cares if they are popular? Google, Technorati and other search engines have it set up so that these irrelevant blogs are, well, irrelevant. They are unlikely to show up in many search results, be cited by a journalist, or change anyone’s life. But if you’re buying a new cell phone and not checking enGadget, you’re nuts. Blogs are just websites, people, and like all types of websites, they vary in value. Finally, there are not enough corporate interests out there to crank out all the niche information people are searching for, and blogs do that. Blogs are one of the main reasons that you can find pretty much anything on Google. If you don’t get that, well, I can’t help you. Q, Is this blog useful Dear Reader?

3 comments:

A.T. said...

yes, and pls continue to do it even better ;)

Paymentguy@gmail.com said...

How do I do it better? How do you use this blog?

A.T. said...

well, probably I'm not best customer, in a sense that I am rather far from ordinary reader (and you have plenty of them, according to clustermaps widget). I use it as pure intellectual material - compare it with own thinking and past experience in "payment industry", making some personal development on that.