Friday, July 24, 2026

Kidnapped & Sexually-Abused @ 14

I remember almost everything about that night exactly seven years ago: the car, the route, even the brand of cigarettes my kidnapper smoked. I also caught sight of his first name on his ID while he was scraping crack cocaine from its wrapper. Malcolm James abducted and sexually assaulted me in 2019, less than a month after my 14th birthday. At the end of 2023, he was convicted of five sexual offences against a child, including assault by penetration. On Jan 8 2024, he was sentenced to eight years in prison. Under the rules then in force, he was expected to serve around five-and-a-half years. I already thought that was too short. Then, last month, I was told by my victim liaison officer at the Ministry of Justice that Labour’s early release scheme may shorten it further. Andy Burnham has now paused the scheme, but there is no suggestion it has been fully abandoned. So, what kind of Prime Minister does Burnham intend to be? Will he stand with victims like me, or will he preserve a policy under which rapists, child sex offenders and repeatedly violent criminals can be released early? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2026/07/23/kidnapped-and-sexually-abused-at-14-attacker-early-freed/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1009441&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_FTE_New_Reg&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_FTE_New_Reg20260724&utm_campaign=DM1009441

No comments: